We live in a digital age where our phones are our lively-hood. A daily source of entertainment, socialization, and now (thanks to Amazon), shopping. If you were to step onto a city sidewalk, any given work-day during lunch rush, you will see what I am talking about. Aside from the constant distraction that our phones give us, it also opens the doors to toxic exposure to high levels of electric magnetic fields (EMF). Specifically, I am talking about the overuse of technology as a health behavior and how it can shape the body’s health and well-being.
What is Electric Magnetic Field (EMF)?
Electric magnetic field is the name for types of photon radiation, consisting of light particles that travel in wave-like patterns at the speed of light. EMF is produced naturally in the world at a low intensity. But technology produces a much more intense electromagnetic field, that can cause health risks. Anyone that lives near power lines or where there is phone reception is being exposed to artificial EMFs. Cellphones are the most common technology devices that put off artificial EMFs. The amount of Americans that now own smartphones is 81% and three quarters of US adults now own a computer or tablet. Other technology products that give off EMFs include: computers, wifi routers, bluetooth devices, microwaves and other household appliances.
An international study measuring cancer rates and cellphone use in more than 5,000 people in 13 countries around the world found a connection between the highest rate of exposure and glioma, a type of cancer that occurs in the brain and spinal cord. This affecting your body’s nervous system function and can cause damage to cells. Although there is not a direct relationship between our health and the exposure to EMF the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), says EMFs are “possibly carcinogenic to humans.
Symptoms of EMF Exposure
Technology devices have been used as a portal for non-stop distractions and multitasking, preventing you from living in the moment. Alongside these known factors, there are health related symptoms as well.
- Trouble concentrating
Do you find that even before lunch you are experiencing brain fog or have a difficult time completing a task? This could be contributed to prolonged computer/screen use.
If the last thing you do before bed is look at your phone, you might want to re-think your night routine. Blue light can suppress the production of melatonin, while boosting cortisol (the stress hormone) levels.
- Headache or Dizziness
The more you use your mobile phone, the higher your likelihood of developing migraines and other symptoms.
- Eye Strain or Fatigue
Studies suggest that continued exposure to blue light over time can later cause damage to the retinal cells. This could lead to vision problems like age-related macular degeneration.
Although it is unlikely to be diagnosed from symptoms of EMF exposure, toxic build has been shown to contribute to inflammatory conditions. These might include:
- Allergies and sinus conditions
- Skin conditions (such as acne, eczema, and psoriasis)
- Joint pain, arthritis
- Chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia
- Digestive problems affect the gut lining (such as irritable bowel syndrome, constipation and inflammatory bowel disease). Gut health covers multiple positive aspects of the gastriointestinal (GI) tract, such as effective digestion and absorption of food, absence of illness, stable intestinal microbiota, immune status and a state of well-being. When compromised, the body can not function optimally or stimulate the body’s natural processes.
- Hormonal imbalance (such as PMS, PCOS, endometriosis, fibroids and menopausal symptoms)
- Weight gain
- Alzheimer’s, diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol
Notice how I said ‘Reduce Exposure’ not eliminate. We are in a very tech savvy era, making it difficult to completely avoid EMF exposure. But we can certainly decrease the amount of time spent glued to our devices. Here are 8 ways to limit blue light exposure throughout your day.
- Use “night mode” when on your phone and or computer after sunset. This can give your devices an softer lighting that makes it easier on the eyes.
- Change your light bulbs to warmer tones and colors. Opt for more natural light if possible and avoid/remove fluorescents.
- Keep cell phones, WiFi, electronic clocks and computers at least 8 feet distance from where you sleep.
- Turn off WiFi router at night.
- Schedule time to unplug from technology in your home, especially at mealtimes and friend/family time.
- Look into activities that take you away from technology like swimming, being out in nature, painting, board games, or reading a book.
- Wear protective eye glasses (BluBlocker or Klassy Network Glasses)
- Apply an energy tested EMF protection device to your phone (q-disk or Defender Shield)
Once removing the Electric Magnetic Field (EMF) exposure it is important to support the body’s natural state of homeostasis. This involves replenishing the body of vital minerals and nutrients. Including:
- Water: Water source should be filtered, structured, unchlorinated (Mountain Valley Spring Water, ECHO). Make mason jars or pitchers of >100 ounces of water in morning with lime or lemon, add a dash of pink salt and consume throughout the day. Try adding cucumber, mint, cilantro, or strawberries to add more flavor. Avoid plastic water bottles whenever possible as they leach BPA’s from the plastic as the water is added to recycled plastic when it is hot.
- Fiber: Aim for 30-40 grams per day best found in whole foods. Prune juice, dates, whole grains, chia seeds are all great sources of fiber.
- pH: Maintain an overall balanced body pH is critical for tuning the efficiency of the body’s natural detoxification pathways. It is recommended to check the first morning’s urinary pH as the best measure of total body acid/base balance. Ideal range is 6.7-7.0, if you are below 6.7 your body is creating more acidic waste than can be diluted by the water you drink and balanced by minerals contained in the soft tissue. Your body is crying for more minerals, to boost into range drink organic cold-pressed juice and add PRL Pink Salt to your water daily.
- Vegetables: Natures detoxifier, vegetables contain large amounts of the previously mentioned items, they are high in water and fiber, green vegetables also help to balance your bodies pH. As a food source it is very difficult to take to much of this or trigger a “cleansing crisis”. Target 60-80% of your daily food intake as vegetables with half of this raw. Be sure to wash all foods in a mild cider vinegar to clean away and wax coatings and remove bacteria and viruses.
Time to reset your gut!
Now that you have a better understanding of what EMF is, it’s affects on your health and how to remove toxic exposure from your body… it is time to push the reset button! Start by challenging yourself to a ‘Device Detox’. Schedule one day a week that you TURN OFF your phone, planning activities that are technology free. Refer to the Reduce Exposure list for ideas. This type of detox aids in more ways then one. It gives you a mental break for multitasking, while stimulating the body’s natural means of processing and eliminating.